July 25, 2007

Moses' Boma in Longido


Moses' Boma in Longido, originally uploaded by Benjamin Long.

Hello all, the Maasai village was amazing and I think I have set something
up to stay in the town Longido (name sound familiar). The Maasai boy that I met is named Moses and he is now a good friend. He has helped me in many
situations were people are trying to take advantage of me. I slept in the
boma (hut) behind me in the picture. I may have slept for an hour but the
cows outside kept me up. I slept on a board covered with leather which they
called a bed with two Maasai warriors (Moses was one and I don't know the
others name. They are not allowed to sleep in a boma without another
warrior present. I had an amazing couple days at the Maasai village and plan
to go back and heard cattle with them. I am going to a Maasai wedding with Moses.
I will take pictures. I will leave you with what just happened to me walking
from one end of Arusha to the other in search of a internet cafe.

NOISE!!! There are tons of street vendors selling everything from
cellphones, ties, American sports shirts, and my favorite corn. On every
street corner, there is atleast one lady cooking corn on a makeshift grill
made of a trash can lid with mangled clothes-hangers sitting on the ground.
The corn makes a crackling sound but there are numerous safari guides
yelling "you need safari" but then about that time the Muslim call to prayer
went off all over town which also wakes you up in the morning. Then there
are buses flying around on the wrong side of the road. Each bus has a man
that works in the back hanging out of the window yelling names of cities in
Swahili. There are dozens of them and they all go very fast and honk their
horns at everyone they and they all must be very popular. Then two french
teenage girls approach me and say there is someone following them. It turns
out there was and i yell at him loud enough for the cop to hear on the other
side of the street. he runs away. Then I find myself safely into the
internet cafe.
It was a bizarre 10 min walk in Arusha. I think I really like it here...